CODAworx is a public art clearinghouse that I use as a way to find listings of upcoming RFQs. They publish a monthly online magazine the celebrates various public art projects around the world. “Phoenix Rising” is included in the June issue.
At long last, almost a year after it was completed, I added a portfolio page for “The Care Takers” mosaic!
We were working on this project in 2020 when the pandemic hit. We had to leave in the middle for three weeks. I visited it earlier this spring and got to see how it’s all coming together. This is in Biltmore Forest, just south of Asheville, North Carolina. We did this project with Emily Gregory of B.B. Barns.
The mosaic is finished and ready for installation. We are planning to head up later in June! This is the last of five mosaics we are doing for the schools in Norfolk, Virginia.
Last week we installed this memorial stone bench at a woodland site in Arden, North Carolina. An engraved boulder is planned for the site as well, to celebrate the life of Kim Carter, who lived in this area and helped to protect these woods from development.
I got to visit this project recently, taking a new client on a tour of older projects. A long stone path, interspersed with steps, leads to a small patio with a fire pit. We built this project with Emily Gregory of BB Barns Landscaping Services, almost two years ago.
Velcro was the beloved black lab of my friend and crew mate Jonathan. Velcro got sick and died late last year. I made this stone for him. The lettering is carved into Pennsylvania bluestone. The surround is Tennessee sandstone. The bluestone carved nicely, but it has a natural finish. It addition to being bumpy, there’s a ridge along the stone where it bumps out 1/8″. That doesn’t sound like much, but it effected the edge of my carved lines. A perfectly flat stone will produce a cleaner line. But this has a rustic character befitting the stone and the site. Kristin grew the plants (zinnia, celosia, and cosmo.)
I’m starting a new commission, a Garden Guardian of a goldfinch to complement a recent stone wall and pathway we built.
I sketch ideas on paper but eventually make a final draft in the computer using Adobe Illustrator. It is really easy to scale thing up and down in that program, meaning I don’t have to completely redraw it if I decide I want it a half inch larger.
I usually trace the inside of the pattern for an inlay- the negative space. This time I went to the outside of the pattern piece itself, because I wanted it fractionally larger than I drew it.
I have to cut the opening for the inlay first, before I start the stone mosaic. That way, if I make any mistakes- and I often do, going beyond the lines- I can adjust my paper templates before I cut the inlay pieces. This is as far as I can go with the grinders. Next step will be to finish the stock removal with chisels. I aim for a half inch of depth. More is okay, less is not. I need enough room for the stone, usually about 3/8″, plus thinset tile mortar.
This little corner of our client’s yard was bare clay and discarded scraps of junk. It was ugly and unusable. We happened to have some pink granite- the byproduct of my impulse control disorder when it comes to buying stone- that perfectly matched the material used to build the house so long ago. We put this wall together and filled with soil. A year later, it’s a flourishing garden. They found some cast iron porch posts that they are using for climbing roses.
At long last I’ve finally put together an Etsy shop to sell my small mosaic works. Currently the five mosaics in the above image are available. Free shipping!